"Tell all truth but tell it slant." -Emily Dickinson

Podcasts and Pedagogy

Have you ever come to the middle of yet another research paper and thought, “There’s just got to be another way?” Aside from tests and quizzes, the critical essay has long been the teacher’s favourite means of assessing a student’s proficiency on a topic of study. While writing research papers encourages students to think critically, reason systematically, and learn to compose clear pros, it still only remains one highly specialized form of communication. Students who will enter the workforce of tomorrow, will need to communicate research findings in a variety of ways, including presentations, brochures and video conferences or podcasts (?).

That’s right, this week I wanted to consider how podcasts can provide an alternative to the tired research paper project. In addition to encouraging the same kind of critical engagement as a research paper, podcasts offer students the opportunity to develop their professional voice–a medley of formality, directness and charming amicability. I found that in my recent experience recording a podcast for my ELA class, I was able to approach my subject matter–teaching reading practices–from a more personalized perspective, weaving in anecdotes and laughter to communicate my ideas. It’s important that, as contemporary educators teaching in the digital age, we’re equipping students with a variety of communication methods, especially those which highlight their personal voice.

« »